I've watched The Office series finale at least four times since it aired. And yes I still cried each time. It was the perfect combination of funny and sentimental that provided us with closure for the nine year relationships we've formed with the characters. And on top of all that messed somewhere between Creed's hilarious disguises and Erin's emotional reunion with her birth parents the writers of The Office slipped in some wonderful words of wisdom. So here are the things I learned from The Office finale:
1.Life's to short to be anything less than happy.
"It took me so long to do so many important things. It's just hard to accept that I spent so many years being less happy than I could have been. It' be great if people saw this doc and learned from my mistakes...but it would just make my heart soar if someone out there saw this and she said to her self "be strong, trust yourself, love yourself, conquer your fears. Just go after what you want and act fast because life just isn't that long."
When Pam launched into her monologue about learning to love herself I again began crying hysterically. in part because the Pam I was on the screen was no longer the young naive, confused and utterly stuck in an unhappy rut we saw in season one. But, a grown women who was finally comfortable with herself. When she says "Jim was five feet from my desk and it took me four years to get to him."I was reminded at how important it is to take chances and go after what we want. We are os often told not to dream but to be logical and responsible. Don't travel to Europe and blow all your money, don't be an actress or a writer those aren't stable careers. But what good is money if your unhappy? It's important to chase our dreams. It's important for us to be happy.
2.The Good Old Days are right now.
"I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them."
Leave it to Nard Dog to put how much we wish our lives away by living in the past or dreaming of life in the future. We spend so much of our lives wishing to be older to be "grown-up's" we dream about being 13, 16, 18 and 21. We dream about have a real job, a car, a loft and a cool group of friends to drink martini's with and we forget to live in the moment. But life is happening right now. The best days of our lives are the days that are happening they aren't the ones in the past or the ones still to come. We have to stop wishing our lives away. Because again life isn't that long.
3."there's a lot of beauty in ordinary things."
As people, we tend to focus on the glamour and the big dreams. We want to be rich and important wit cool job, cool wardrobe and huge house. We want to go to lavish parties and sip fancy cocktails. But, sometimes amidst all those dreams of glory we forget about the little moments. Moments like when you're friend brought you soup because you were sick. The first time your mom let you walk to a friends house by yourself. Staying up all night with your friends or the first time you got kissed. It's all the little ordinary daily moments that make life beautiful.
So there you have it the final words of wisdom The Office left me with. I know it's a little late but has anyone actually forgotten the finale?
No comments:
Post a Comment